I have installed many computers, mostly oldies, with Ubuntu - sofar 100%
success.
Lately I was trying to install a pc with FX5200 of Nvidia.

I installed the 3 avilable drivers, and also degraded from 8.10 to 8.04 - and
the result is the same: the resolution without Nvidia driver is 800x600, with
Nvidia driver 640x480, and never above these resolutions.
The same was with 8.10 or 8.04

The same PC was working well before with Windows XP.

I saw in the forums that other suffered as well from the same - I
suspect it's a bug.

** Affects: nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)

--
Nvidia FX 5200 doesn't work above 800x600 resolution
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/322870