For anybody experiencing these  problems: To overcome the resize
crashings I used the plugins to draw a rectangle instead of the 'normal'
resize mode.

The unminimising crashes can be overcome in kwin by creating a rule to
disable minimising.  This is not so extreme as it sounds - I believe
gnome shell is doing the same thing or thinking about it.  It supposedly
is a more efficient way of working!  We'll see....it takes a bit of
getting used to.   You also need to use kdesudo instead of gksudo (if
you are using kwin outside of kubuntu).

Kwin is very fast using Xrender though.  Resizing in 'normal' mode is
much quicker than under OpenGL (and is stable).  So it is not so bad if
you use that (feels better than xfwm).

Sorry to go off track from the original post!

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  UMS dri support missing for r200