Using Ubuntu Precise, French version.

* The keyboard is configured to use French (variant).
* I add Arabic to the layout list.
* Then I switch from from French (variant) to Arabic.
* I typed some text in Gedit, but the input is still french, not Arabic letters
as expected.
* The keyboard indicator display Ar with its icon, but its layout list says
French (variant) is selected, which is inconsistant (see attached screen‑shot
picture)

Ubuntu Precise seems to have a bug there.

There is a trick.

* I removed Arabic from the layout list.
* I added French to the layout list, together with French (variant)
* Then I added Arabic again
* I switched from French Variant to Arabic
* I typed some text in Gedit, now the input was Arabic

For some weird reasons, seems French (variant) must come with French
together, for the switch to work.

Another trick.

* I then removed French from the layout list, leaving alone French (variant)
with Arabic.
* I switched to French (variant) then to Arabic
* I typed some text in Gedit, it was Arabic.

For some weird reasons, seems switching from French (variant) to Arabic
requires French was activated some time before, and if was not (as in
the first attempt), it does not work.

A third trick.

I then restart the machine, but could not login, because the connexion
screen was sticked to Arabic, and my password is French. Switching to
French with the keyboard indicator have no effect, and there is no way
to login at all. May be worth to note during the boot process, the
connexion screen first show a keyboard indicator which says Fr, but then
quickly and automatically switch itself to Ar.

I had to manually edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf using another OS (An
installation of Ubuntu Maverick on the same machine) to tell the cession
manager to automatically login my user name. Then I was able to remove
the Arabic layout. I restarted the machine, then disabled automatic
connexion, and it was working fine.

In short, there are multiple weird tricks with multilingual keyboard
layout, which can be seriously blocking, and enough to disable one to
login, which is a lot blocking.

** Affects: xkeyboard-config (Ubuntu)

** Tags: connection keyboard layout multilingual precise unity
--
Multilingual keyboard does not work properly
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1014318