295.49-0ubuntu0.1 is available in Precise - see
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates

Sebastian has made some good suggestions for fixing this bug in Lucid,
but the problem is that this driver is proprietary and closed-source.
Without the source code we can't do anything other than rely on NVIDIA
to backport the fix for this bug to older driver series.  Their driver
is basically a locked box and we can't even see inside to see what is
happening.  Checking http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-
uk shows that NVIDIA have not yet backported this fix to the 195.xx
driver series.

I found a report that states that unofficial support for new X Server
releases can be enabled by passing the X.Org Server the -ignoreABI
argument to ignore the ABI differences.  I'm not sure if this works in
reverse (i.e. enabling the newer driver to support older X Server
releases).  I'm also unsure how one goes about passing this argument to
the X Server - perhaps in the xorg.conf file?  I don't have time to
follow this up further now but I thought I'd mention it in case you can
figure it out and it might help you.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Regression in nvidia-graphics-drivers causes freezes in combination
  with gnome-screensaver