This bug does not only affect Intel chipsets, my AMD Fusion laptop
freezes just fine.

To the people considering trying newer kernels, here is what it did for
me, 3.3.6 and 3.3.7 made my system even more instable, it kept freezing,
kernel 3.5 made it impossible to use Unity 3D and forced Unity 2D on me.
So the kernel thing may work for some people but it did not achieve much
for me.

Several people have observed these freezes only seem to occur when
browsing, here is what i did, i sudo apt-purged flash, installed the
FlashAid Firefox extension which basically installs the best version for
your system (64bit in my case) and applies some tweaks, i haven't had a
single freeze since i did that last week.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.