Have the same problem with my system (Dell OptiPlex GX520, Intel®
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz × 2, Graphics Intel® 945G x86/MMX/SSE2, Ubuntu
12.04 LTS). After a clean boot all fine for a while then graphics start
to go wonky. Background image gets pixellated once an app like Firefox
is opened and then closed. Tool tips off the Unity Launchpad strip at
the left are effected i.e. some don't display correctly. In some rare
cases the entire system gets effected and the menu items, etc. can't be
read and a restart is necessary.

Problems only started with the introduction of Unity. Before this the
graphics worked perfectly.

May be related but my system also seems much slower now than 10.10 or
even 11.04.

Really annoying bug that feed the Linux nay-saying machine.

  Screen frequently distorts randomly