More strangeness with X yesterday. When I booted up, X didn't recognize
my keyboard (neither the external keyboard nor the built-in). I tried
rebooting and restarting X (with Alt-PrtScn-K) several times to no
avail. In the end I decided to reboot into command-line mode and update
back to the latest Ubuntu version (i.e. ditch this fix and live with the
original problem).

In addition to updating input-evdev, I noticed that it also updated
xserver-common, xorg-core, and input-synaptics, plus a bunch of non-X11
packages. I guess these were Ubuntu's standard periodic patches. After
updating and rebooting (docked with both monitors), X windows came back
up successfully without freezing!!!

However, it seems like this didn't fix the original problem, just worked
around it. Whenever I try to move the monitors around in Display
Settings, then X freezes again. I think they found a combination of
randr settings that don't trigger the defect and then made those the
default when booting with dual monitors.

.config/monitors.xml attached, if anyone cares to check it out.

** Attachment added: "monitors.xml"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/992778/+attachment/3226152/+files/monitors.xml

  Dual Monitor Freeze after changing Display Settings in ubuntu 12.04