This issue is still present even now. When installing 12.04 again on my
main pc, and rearranging the desktops after fulling updating my
computer, my system instantly froze again. Also, after my initial boot
up my computer would randomly flash black and then freeze shortly after
the picture reappeared....So far my experience with AMD card with Ubuntu
has been less than satisfactory. The fglrx drivers work as expected,
though I get errors when trying to install them with Jockey and had to
install it via the command line. Also, with the xorg edgers ppa and the
latest 3.5 kernel all the AMD problems go away......I very sincerely
hope that in the time the next Ubuntu release comes out (or even this
one) we can just use the now-working drivers found in the xorg-edgers,
and not break them....

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  Xorg crashes in Precise with Dual Screens