I have a ThinkPad t420s and have the same issue.

I can suspend to ram successfully several times, but under normal usage,
after the 3rd or 4th time Xorg crashes and I am sent back to the login
screen.   The moon icon flashes and then stops.   Once on the login
screen, logging in does not work, control-alt-F1 (etc) do not get me to
a login terminal.  If I select shutdown, the computer goes to sleep
during shutdown, and I have to wake it order to finish shutdown.  The
computer is generally not usable until I reboot.

I have tried booting and then putting my computer to sleep and waking it
up repeatedly, running different programs in between each cycle, to try
and find some trigger that reproduces the problem.   I could not
reproduce the problem this way.   The crash has only happened for me
after continuous normal usage.  I have not been able to artificially
create the conditions for the crash.

Let me know if there are any logs or other data I can provide to help
diagnose.

  xorg crashes 1 time in 5 when attempting to sleep