I don't tried with second monitor (my card have 2 DVI and 1 HDMI
output), but it affects me when switching video modes in nvidia-settings
or any application like a game that goes full screen and so on. It don't
affect inmediately I must change a lot of times videomode and sometimes
I have luck and freezes my desktop. Xorg using 100% CPU and screen
frozen in the last draw. I cannot do Ctrl+Alt+F1 but I can login via ssh
and killall Xorg -s KILL (without -s KILL don't work).

With previous version (not precise-updates) I get the freeze inmediately
or only two or three times I change the videomode. It appears that with
this version is more stable but still have the bug.

Ubuntu 12.04 Fresh install but updated packages.

xserver-xorg-input-evdev version: 1:2.7.0ubuntu1.2 (precise-updates)

Video GeForce GT 440

NVIDIA 295.59 manually installed.

With nvidia-current I have some apparent problems of unstability so I
decided to install the recomended version from NVIDIA manually.

** Attachment added: "Xorg.0.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/989347/+attachment/3247967/+files/Xorg.0.log

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  [BUG: ../../dix/getevents.c:850 in scale_to_desktop()] black screen if
  second monitor is connected in HDMI.