I have this issue too, using nouveau with a G84 ([GeForce 8600 GTS])
card too. I tried bazillons of different configurations to make either
hibernate or suspend to work, to no avail. I'm ready to try anything to
make it work.

On fedora 17, with the same config, monitors wake up on resume and
desktop come back (altought unresponsive).

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  After suspend to RAM and resume screen does not recover