Public bug reported:

08.08.12 after updating xserver-xorg-core from version
2:1.11.4-0ubuntu10.6 to 2:1.11.4-0ubuntu10.7 I noticed that screen
resolution is incorrect. I started "NVidia X Server Settings" and got
notification "There is no nvidia drivers installed". I  couldn't install
any drivers using tool for installing proprietary drivers. I tried to
install previous version of the file xserver-xorg-core from console, but
without success. And later I couldn't  enter to my desktop at all. So I
reinstalled system.

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  nvidia driver crashed after xserver update