I also thought that reason was unsupported hardware.
However, as I mentioned, pointer begins to flicker only after some application
changes cursor to animated one.
Before that mouse cursor is very smooth and behaves without any glitches.
So it looks like there is bug or problem that is triggered by setting cursor.
I am not very experienced in graphics, but for me it looks like after boot or X
restart Ubuntu using hardware cursor.
But after some app shows animated cursor Ubuntu switches to software cursor
(render it by itself). But probably my assumption is wrong.
Near the same problem I can see when running Ubuntu/Xubuntu inside Parallels
virtual machine (without Parallels Tools installed).
But in Parallels vm cursor flicker all the time when moved (even without any
button pressed) and disappears when non moving (cursor can be visible only when
moving). I think that's another problem, but possibly related.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-psb in Ubuntu.

  Mouse pointer flicker or disappear when moving it with left mouse
  button down