@martin: Thank you! Even though my problem wasn't the same as yours, it seems
to be working fine for me. I had been experiencing crashes every time I tried
to watch a Youtube in 'HD mode'. The video would play for maybe 1 or 2 minutes
then I would usually get a complete lockdown-no keyboard or mouse response.
Sometimes I could reboot using 'reisub', but only if I attempted this
immediately.I just finished watching about 15 mins. of the 'Slingshot Channel'
without any problem.
  My system: Asus P7P55d-E mainboard
                       Intel I5-750 cpu
                       8gb. dual channel ram
                       Western Digital 'Caviar' 1tb. sata hard drive.
                       Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT gpu
                       Seasonic X-650 (i think) psu

                     dual boot Ubuntu 12.04-x86_64 and Windows 7 Professional
                     Firefox 14.0.1
                     Nvidia driver: 302.17
I need to emphasize that this only seemed to happen when I was watching Youtube
videos. Other sources of HD videos weren't affected.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.