After a lot of manipulation, including switching to nouveau and back to
nvidia a few times, the problem has now disappeared.  Looking at the
lastmod date on /etc/X11/xorg.conf, this should have occurred Aug-12
16:07 or later.  But since I was under a crash deadline and lack of
sleep, I wasn't able to analyze exactly what had happened.

I am attaching a couple of files to capture the state of the current working
system:
* /etc/X11/xorg.conf as

** Attachment added: "perhaps no solution, but current state of working system"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nouveau/+bug/1035555/+attachment/3263900/+files/works-XorgConf.txt

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  dual monitor cursor jumps across screen when crossing display edge