I am experiencing some crashes again after resuming from suspend.  The
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics is indeed at the prior version, and for at
least a few weeks this seemed to solve the issues (to reveiw, for me at
least on my Thinkpad T520 the problem occurred in me being kicked out to
the login screen).

However, the last few weeks there have been some other crashes.  These
"new" crashes have the mouse pointer moving, but can't click on Unity
top bar or launcher.  Keyboard also appears locked.  Hard reboot
required.  Has anyone else experienced these issues?  I am guessing a
different xorg bug?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Xorg crashed with SIGSEGV in XIGetDeviceProperty()