I have the same exact issue.

I can run startx from the cli and then launch Unity from a terminal --
as soon as Unity tries to launch, it kicks me back out with the same
error message you guys are seeing:
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/113232426/IMG_0855.JPG

I started a bug report here as well: #1039148.

Let's hope that this gets resolved soon. Very frustrating and
unproductive.

I noticed that, besides Firefox and Thunderbird, crashing,  the Online
Accounts app from within System Settings kicks me out of the session
back to lightdm.

So what's the thought here? Are we looking at an NVIDIA, Xorg or Unity
or Compiz issue here?

What else can I do to provide debugging info?

Thanks.

** Tags added: compiz nvidia-current unity

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Xorg crashed with SIGABRT in FreeResource()