Same issue in 12.04.1 LTS as well, but I have a few additional data
points (with screen photos), which surprised me...

Steps:

1. Downloaded 12.04.1 64 bit desktop DVD .iso

2. Written to USB stick via Startup Disk Creator in Lucid (64 bit
desktop)

3. Restarted the system and booted from USB stick. Initial boot screen
(where if you press any key it throws up the language selection followed
by list of boot options) shows up as a small grey bar with a white
border in the bottom left corner as before: See attachment
BootScreen.jpg

4. Next up the boot progress screen works fine, as before. See
attachment ProgressIndicator.jpg

5. Next up the Desktop, and this was a surprise, shows a corrupted
desktop with some parts showing a view of the Snow Mountain track in
Tuxcart. See attachment DesktopWithTuxcart.jpg

My son was playing this particular track on Lucid just immediately
before the restart (from Lucid to Precise on USB), which was done from
the system menu in Lucid.

My guess is that the memory on the graphics card retains the earlier
data from the Tuxcart run before restart and the desktop process/ driver
in Precise is not handling the graphics card memory properly, causing
this to be displayed.

I wanted to confirm if this would work a second time, so I hit the reset
switch on the desktop cabinet (not the power down switch) and restarted
Precise from the USB (I couldn't do a controlled restart as the desktop
was corrupted). I got back to the exactly same corrupted desktop,
showing part of the Snow Mountain track in Tuxcart.

Next I shutdown the computer, switched off the power supply and let it
rest for a while. This time after booting Precise from the USB I was
presented with the corrupted desktop with random noise as before. See
attachment DesktopPostColdStart.jpg

So I think my guess is right...

Next I switched the BIOS setting to use the onboard Intel graphics and
was able to boot into the Precise desktop. There were a few problems
from that point on re installing Precise but they are unrelated to this
bug (I think!!).

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  [nvidia GT 240] no desktop after X started