I'm wondering if the performance problem is related to monitor rotation.
I have two monitors (both 1920x1200) with two video cards. When I rotate
either or both, I get the slowdowns I have described above. A few days
it occurred to me that rotation might be an issue. I experimented and
learned that when I rotate neither, the problem largely goes away.  I
have been running like this without a reboot for several days now.
Youtube still works fine and  the R rgl package is mostly okay.  I'm now
using driver 304.37, installed using the nvidia installation package.

Could others experiencing this problem chime in on whether it might be
linked to rotation? Are you rotating? Do you still experience the
problem if you don't?

I've attached my xorg.conf. The rotation commands are commented out, but
I wanted them visible so someone could say if there was a problem.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Performance problems with Nvidia driver