I add links to two related bugs in the debian BTS:
- debian bug 609903 (HP G62 laptop): LED indicator in the upper left corner of
the touchpad itself.
- debian bug 683762 (HP Folio 13-2000 laptop): LED indicator between the
touchpad and the keyboad.

Apart from that I thought it might be a good idea to add links to the
unfinished patch sent upstream by Takashi Iwai a while ago (review by Peter
Hutterer):
- http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg.devel/13437 (patch)
- http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg.devel/13607 (review)

I'm affected by this bug on the HP Folio 13-2000 laptop. I'd be glad to
provide more information and/or test revised patches.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Can't disable touchpad