Is there a plan for resolving the issue with nvidia-96 or is nVidia
unlikely to provide the same update for those cards? I have a GeForce MX
4000 that worked fine in 11.10 but now doesn't, and the 173 drivers
don't work with it. I know it's an old card, but sourcing AGP cards is
getting hard! I'd rather keep this computer working as long as I can,
even if that means dropping down to 11.10. Could there be an official
backport path of some sort for getting a still-compatible version of
Xorg installed on 12.04 if the driver is unlikely to be updated?

Ditching a motherboard & GPU for a new release of X doesn't seem like a
stellar solution to the problem.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 in Ubuntu.

  nvidia-173 and nvidia-96 uninstallable on Precise