Public bug reported:

The screen is a LCD Citizen C19604HD that should run 1440x 900 at 60 Hz
(as per manual). Upon entering the desktop the session is also
excessively large, 1224 x 768 (4:3) and only allows a worse setting of
800 x 600 (4:3).

I must say, that every once in a while, Display panel will show the
following available (I've tried all of them) resolutions. The problem is
that they're usually not accessible. For the sake of completeness, I'll
list them all, although I'm only really interested in the top one.

1440 x 900
1366 x 768
1360 x 768
1280 x 1024
1280 x 960
1280 x 800
1280 x 768
1152 x 864
1024 x 768
1024 x 576
832 x 624
800 x 600

When confronted with the black screen, I've tried editing xorg.conf, but that's
resulted in black screens, even black ttys, forcing me to do the following
workaround:
-boot up on a live-cd,
-mount the HD and
-sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
-reboot onto the HD

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

  xorg fails to configure native 1440 x 900 on LCD widescreen