I have a similar problem with my eeePc 1005HAB. At first I couldn't see
a pattern but I have noticed, in my case, that crashing occurs more
frequently when opening the dash, hud, or changing the volume (volume
notification pops up). Could compiz be part of the problem?  These
things are not always what causes the crash, one time I was coding in
vim with the default terminal when the system froze for about a second
(mouse and buttons irresponsive) and then shot me back to the login
screen.

  Xorg crashes back to logon screen