When trying to boot a life system from a usb key the system seems to
boot normally but the screen turns completely white after about a minute
and stays in this state. Pressing the up/down keys triggers a short
burst of disk activity, otherwise the system seems to be idle.

It is possible to switch to the console with ctrl-alt-f1. At the end of
/var/log/syslog I found many lines in the following form:

[drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: PFIFO_CACHE_ERROR - Ch 2/2 Mthd 0x0800 Data
0x00000000

The value after Mthd seems to change - I'll try to copy a sample tonight
and attach it to the report.

The system is a Samsung R580 laptop, the graphics controller is reported
to be a NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 310M]

** Affects: libdrm (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bot-comment
--
nouveau hangs during boot of life system, prevents installation
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1049497