I too am seeing the issue where the screen stays black but the mouse cursor
moves and changes shape normally.
Eventually, after some long amount of time (which varies from seconds to
minutes), the screen will suddenly restore as expected. I when it eventually
restores it's usually coincident with a keystroke or mouse movement, but I
don't have solid data.
I am using a Radeon HD 7970 with 3 monitors, and Unity on Precise.

If I switch to VT2 , wait a little, and switch back, the problem persists.
If I switch to VT2, log in, and kill the compiz process, and switch back, the
screen restores as normal (except of course windows don't have decorations for
a few seconds while compiz respawns, as expected).

** Tags added: precise

  [i965] idle black screen plus other issues Ubuntu 11.04