Hello,

we expierenced the same issue on a Nexcom NISE 3500M2E industrial
computer (http://www.nexcom.com/Products/industrial-computing-solutions
/fanless-computer/high-performance-platform/fanless-computer-nise-
3500m2e) running kubuntu 12.04

We observed a lot of EDID activity in the Xorg log when the system lags. With
kernel 3.2.0-29-generic-pae i686 i386 this happens some seconds after the UI
came up. With the kernel options i915.i915_enable_rc6=0 i915.i915_enable_fbc=0
i915.semaphores=1 i915.modeset=1 the system works stable until we are using a
bt878 based framegrabber hardware with direct overlay (XVideo). XVideo is
necessary to keep the latency short (its in a robitic application, the system
is behind the operator's console).
As a current work around, we are using Kernel 3.5.3 from
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.5.3-quantal/. the system is
far more stable but the lags still happen from time to time.
This seems to be in conjunction with i2c bugs fixed in the i915 kernel driver.

Regards
Florian

  [arrandale] xorg very laggy when Intel vt-d is enabled