After the system configured itself, it still boots into 1224 x 768
(4:3), which makes real estate go off-screen at the right and bottom,
affecting both lightdm and the desktop environment. See my bug report at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/1047140

Solution:
I've had to force the resolution with the following.
xrandr --newmode "1440x900_60.00" 106.47 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 901 904 932
+HSync +VSync
xrandr --addmode DVI-0 1440x900_60.00
xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode 1440x900_60.00

In place of the first line, the following also has worked for me --something I
just got off the net, if I recall.
xrandr --newmode "1440x900_60.00" 106.50  1440 1528 1672 1904  900 903 909 934
-hsync +vsync

Now, I've had to automate it by placing that into ~/.xprofile

Results:
- X starts with the native mode 1440x 900 at 60 Hz, or just shy of 60, 59 if I
recall. It blanks out black once or twice though.
- lightdm sometimes entirely fits onto the physical screen, sometimes it
doesn't.
- It takes "forever" to reach lightdm. Might this be the EDID issue, causing a
delay while Ubuntu decides how to treat my LCD screen?  I've run various
diagnostics and my HD is fine, only one fan is out, which is noted by the Apple
diagnostic. This MacBook Pro used to boot fine with prior versions of Ubuntu
which didn't have this TFT issue.

Expected results:
I guess it goes without saying that the expected results should be that the
system should auto-configure itself so as to not require user intervention. And
it should not go into an episodic and alternating blanking loop.

Comments:
I've had the same issue with another (LCD?) monitor on another Ubuntu 120.10
beta install, and I've had to resort to the same fix. Info to come. So I
suspect that this is a LCD problem or one of just having low tolerance for
defective EDID.

  EDID does not allow LCD widescreen configuration