Ok, just tested it with Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 2 live Desktop. You can switch
the keyboard to "Apple MacBook/MacBook Pro (Intl)" without getting any
error message. What a progress after a year!

However, there is still no "@" sign by default. Also, I did not manage
to configure it by defining a Third Level Chooser. Seems that Ubuntu
does not even know the key that IMHO might well be used as the AltGr key
and which I called the "strange key" (see above).

Btw. someone edited my original posting typing some workaround into my
text. I do not consider this to be useful.

@ Bryce Harrington: Personally, I do not think that Ubuntu users should
be forced to open additional accounts and to make things even more
complicated by having to post bugs upstream.

--
Intrepid: No "AltGr" key defined -> e.g. no "@" symbol with MacBook Pro
which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in ubuntu.