@ Perre.
Don't think it's Java related. I've got the standard java option installed that
comes with Ubuntu and my machine crashes with Nvidia Drivers.

My laptop runs almost without crashed on the 173 version of the Nvidia
drivers, but seems to run completely stable if I disable Nvidia drivers
completely (this will activate the open source Nouveau drivers). Nouvuau
drivers aren't bad at all, as long as you don't plan to run 3D games in
my opinion. Perhaps you can try this?

I'm still running 12.04 on an external HD to test it and I have managed
to get an almost acceptable stabililty with driver version 173, but I'm
currently testing without Nvidia drivers, thus with Nouveau drivers and
this seems to be completely stable.

There are other bugs with Ivy bridge systems etc. that cause 12.04 to
come to a complete freeze, but these bugs seem to be more kernel
related.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 12.04 freezes with nvidia drivers