I have not tried to downgrade to the older xserver. I don't even know
the name of the PPA you would use to do that. I hope there is one,
because if AMD doesn't update the legacy driver soon I'm going to want
to do the workaround. Sure the FOSS driver plays videos and runs my
display at full res, but I have to run CPU Mesa for 3D so I can't play a
lot of games and Blender gets laggy on high-poly scenes. I want my fully
functional fglrx.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  fglrx-installer does not support HD2000-4000 "legacy" cards