I'm going to add a comment to help people Googling this issue.  The ATI
Mobility M7740 chip, which was one option for the Dell M6500 Mobile
Precision laptop, is apparently considered a 4000-series chip, and so is
a victim of this AMD policy.

One of the supposed justifications for over-priced "workstation-class"
graphics chips was top-notch vendor support.  By so cutting short its
support of this chip, AMD has demonstrated that they can't be trusted to
support workstation-level users.

Unless something radically changes, I can't see buy AMD for my Linux
laptops / desktops anymore.  What a shame.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  fglrx-installer does not support HD2000-4000 "legacy" cards