I discovered another bug-report which sounds different but is related.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/972324

On July 13, 2012, David Lichteblau (david-lichteblau) was the last
person to comment, noting that the issue is because a non-$DISPLAY
specific file owned by the user who starts the X-server gets dropped in
$TMP, and that prevents any other servers from running.

What this does, in fact is to prevent organizations from using Xvfb to
provide shared desktops for users. Fixing this bug would be a huge favor
to my department where we would like to provide x11vnc + Xvfb as an
option for remote desktop to hundreds of users per server.

  Cannot launch more than one xvfb instance as different users