Ian Johnston, thank you for reporting this and helping make Ubuntu
better. Regarding your Bug Description in general, we certainly have an
amalgamation of different problems, yet potentially sharing the same
root cause. Hence, let us focus on one problem at a time.

First, could you please execute the following at a terminal:
apport-collect 1068362

Second, specifically regarding your Bug Description:
>"Additionally, the right-click and left-click functionality (along with
>emulated middle-click by clicking right and left together) is not being
>interpreted. The trackpad has only one switch, but should be using finger
>placement on the pad to determine which click is requested. Instead it's
>acting as a single-button mouse, always registering left-click."

Does utilizing the information in the following article provide you with
right click functionality
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingTouchpadDetection#Enabling_right_button_click_for_clickpads_on_Ubuntu_12.04_LTS
?

Third, for each of the problems mentioned in your Bug Description, do
they all work as desired in Lucid? If not, which do and which do not?

** Package changed: linux (Ubuntu) => xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
(Ubuntu)

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Trackpad works incorrectly on Acer Aspire One AO756