Pubudu Kodikara, thank you for noting which upstream drivers you tested
already. Regarding your comments
https://bugs.launchpad.net/fglrx/+bug/1068661/comments/5 :
>"Today I did a clean install and then installed "linux-source" and
>"linux-headers-generic" before installing "fglrx-updates" (according to a
>recommendation made by an ubuntu forum user
>(http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12305917&postcount=11)). It also gave
>the same results. The app port data were collected after this. But today I
>didn't got the warning "update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation
>of alternative /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf because link group
>x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken""

Could you please post the new install log that does not have the
warning?

As well, as a potential WORKAROUND, does any of previous upstream
drivers work for you from
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/previous/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx
?

** Summary changed:

- Can't install ATI AMD proprietary drivers in Ubuntu 12.10
+ Unity does not load after installing fglrx-installer

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  Unity does not load after installing fglrx-installer