Hey Dave,

Thanks for the answer! Now I can better phrase  what the problem is.

I don't care too much about 3D (no gaming for instance) but I use unity.
If this was known before and going back to the open-source driver is an
option then why is it not done during the upgrade?

What happened here is that for my production machine I postponed the
upgrade until the release was done. I have a couple of other machines on
which  I do  alpha/beta testing and they all looked good. Unfortunately
none of them is an ATI machine.

So after the release I did the upgrade and all I got was just the cursor
after logging in. For many years  I upgraded several machines, from
several ubuntu versions, but I 've never seen such a harsh failure
before. So maybe this is a bug for the upgrade process, which package is
that?

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the preferred way to revert
back to the radeon driver? Or shall it be done through xorg.conf?

Thanks!

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  updating to Quantal breaks the system with Radeon HD 4200