@Christopher This is the same issue, so no need to raise a new bug request.
 I read your provided advisory link and first line says 'one defect, one
person, one report' so there is no need to submit another duplicate bug report
here.
As mentioned in the bug description, Ubuntu 12.10 seems to not allow ATI
graphics card based laptops to boot into Unity.
I am having this issue, so i believe this is the correct bug report to
participate in.

I tried a few of the methods mentioned in the orginating post this bug
comes from (http://askubuntu.com/questions/202857/cant-install-ati-
proprietary-drivers-in-12-10) like installing the gflrx-updates etc
using Synaptics package manager and trying nomodeset on the grub menu,
but none of these have helped.

At the moment, the workaround for me is still to remove the gflrx
package(s) and reboot, and then Unity comes back on the desktop and i
run with 'Unknown' graphics drivers as displayed from System Settings -
Overview.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  Unity does not load after installing fglrx-installer