Caution: Downgrading Mesa to 8.0.4 as described in the original bug
report does not play well with Bumblebee (NVIDIA Optimus support). When
I first downgraded, everything worked fine: no corruption, fast
performance. But after installing Bumblebee, I lost desktop effects. I
also tried Ubuntu (Unity) 12.10 and noticed problems there, too,
although not as bad as KDE. Some windows didn't render completely.

The only thing that made my system whole again was to revert to Kubuntu
12.04.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Desktop effects are slow and desktop corruption using mesa 9