Shortly after my original post, I reinstalled Ubuntu because I could not
figure out how to remove the proprietary video driver that may have
contributed to the problem. Indeed, I was then able to get my video
display to work again.

But, about 3 or 4 months ago I ran into a blink blank problem and posted
a new bug that may be related to this one:  Bug #1044885.

I posted this comment on Bug #1044885:

1. My PC's mother board has an ATI Radeon graphics chip.
It blinked and blanked only when it recognized the monitor as a Dell 17". It
did not blank when it recognized the monitor as Unknown. This happened
occasionally after an update/upgrade. When that happened, I resisted updates.
But, Ubuntu was smarter and would "upgrade" spontaneously.

2. In the belief that I might have a h/w problem, I added a new grapcs
card: Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX. The blinky blank problem became more
pronounced and my on-board graphics ceased to provide VGA output.

3. I have replaced my Dell 17" monitor by my wife's LG monitor which is
recognized by Linux as a Goldstar Company Ltd 23", 1920 x 1080 dispaly
(VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev
a2)). The blinky blank problem is as bad as with the Dell 17" monitor.

The problem is:
- not the monitor
- not the graphics hardware
- not Ubuntu, as it seems I am the only person with this problem

I am at a loss.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  Inappropriate response to GFX card problem