I just got this error after upgrading to 12.10 (quantal).

My nvidia-current version is 304.51.really.304.43-0ubuntu1
I have python-xkit 0.5.0 installed

The source of the problem is that the files in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-
packages/Quirks/* want "XKit" (first two letters uppercase) but the
python package exports "xkit" (all lowercase).

The workaround was pretty simple: Replace all "XKit" with "xkit" in all
*.py files in the Quirks folder.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  package nvidia-current 302.17-0ubuntu2 failed to install/upgrade:
  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
  status 1