Created attachment 69198
LockMods can lock another group

This patch follows a different route: It extends modifier locking,
rather than changing how group lock works. Extending has the advantage
that the previous behaviour is maintained, and the patch does not
violate the X Keyboard Protocol Specification.  Extending modifier
locking rather than group locking has the advantage that we do not need
the "Kludge" of the other patch, as we can pass the modifiers that we
want to set, rather then relying on heuristics.

The disadvantage over the existing patch is that we must change the
keymap.

Here are three examples.  The left alt key is to switch to the next
layout when it is pressed and released before any other key is pressed.

    key <LALT> {
        repeat= No,
        type= "TWO_LEVEL",
        symbols[Group1]= [           Alt_L,          Meta_L ],
        actions[Group1]= [
Private(type=3,data[0]=1,data[1]=8,data[2]=8,data[3]=0,data[4]=0,data[5]=0,data[6]=1),

Private(type=3,data[0]=1,data[1]=8,data[2]=8,data[3]=0,data[4]=0,data[5]=0,data[6]=1)
 ]
    };

Similarly, shifting group with Shift+Right Alt (where Shift is pressed
first):

which is subscribed to the bug report.

  Keyboard layout change on hotkeys press instead of release and do not
  work well with shortcuts