I'm also seeing this in ubuntu 12.04.  As a workaround, I added a "sleep
5" to the top of the "script" section in /etc/init/gdm.conf and
/etc/init/lightdm.conf

Like other posters on duplicate bugs, according to /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and dmesg, X bombs out a bit under 5 seconds after boot (after the
kernel module starts loading), and the kernel module finishes loading at
a bit under 6 seconds.

It looks like X needs to wait for the kernel module to come up.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  X quits, instead of waiting for kernel module to load