I get pretty much the same errors in the dmesg log, but the X server
starts up and runs mostly alright, but after it's been running a while,
starts getting wonky, like it won't respond for a long time, then
suddenly comes back to life, but hangs intermittently from then on. A
reboot is necessary to make it usable again.

I suspect this is nVidia's bug, though I do see a few mentions via
Google searches of patches made in the past to the Linux kernel
surrounding the ioremap and nVidia's proprietary drivers.

I've tried their newer driver, 304.60, and it's the same.

NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  304.51  Tue Sep 18 17:16:56 PDT
2012
GCC version:  gcc version 4.7.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.2-2ubuntu1)

Model:           GeForce 7600 GT
IRQ:             24
GPU UUID:        N/A
Video BIOS:      05.73.22.18.00
Bus Type:        PCI-E
DMA Size:        39 bits
DMA Mask:        0x7fffffffff
Bus Location:    0000:01.00.0

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  When logging in to Unity, the Desktop session crashes