I didn't spot anything in the libdrm changelog relevant to this. There's
a few buffer flushing changes in the newer ddx driver, but they appeared
related to corruption issues rather than crashes.

I'd built compiz from source and installed it, but on restart unity
didn't come up.  Does compiz need to be installed to /usr or is the
default /usr/local supposed to work?  Or does unity need rebuilt against
the new compiz or something?

  X crashes in drm_intel_gem_bo_close_vma <-
  drm_intel_gem_bo_unreference_final <-
  drm_intel_gem_bo_unreference_final ...