I have had this problem with Skype (newer versions?) on Ubuntu 10.04
ever since trying to use video in calls. My symptoms are that skype
becomes sluggish a few seconds after enabling video. The video frame
rate slows down and eventually the audio breaks up too. The whole system
also becomes very unresponsive until I quit skype.

I previously noticed that swap was being depleted and assumed that skype
had a memory leak and just avoided trying to send video (I believe that
receiving video does not cause this problem).

What I observed yesterday (using System Monitor) during a test video
call was that swap space was being consumed but that it was the Xorg
process that was getting larger and larger over time ... I now believe
that swap is being consumed by Xorg grabbing more and more virtual
memory. I cancelled the video sending just before swap ran out and was
able to quit skype and carry on working but the swap space wasn't
released until I terminated Xorg by logging out.

I wonder if others can confirm this consumption of virtual memory / swap
space while using skype video?

If so, I wonder if this problem might be caused by Xorg trying to
cache/map every video frame in (virtual) memory? I have seen a problem
like this in the past with animated xscreensaver patterns left running
for several days - then it seemed like the X server saved the frames in
backing store.

Steve Platt

  Skype crashes X server when making video call