I doubt it is an Nvidia issue for these reasons:

1.)  I've installed 12.04 on my mom's quad core, and Nvidia proprietary
is _probably_ not installed there.

2.)  This happens in Firefox, but NOT Chromium(on the same web page,
namely cuttherope.ie)

3.)  According to the top command(I can post the top screen shot if you insist)
the problem is this:
Chrome distributes the work between several threads(both Chrome and xorg
threads are busy) hence utilizing more cores for the same job.  In fact, Chrome
uses more total CPU than Firefox for this job, but it is very smooth.)
Firefox, somehow, seems to dump the whole task onto xorg(and a single thread,
apparently.)  I have Ubuntu 10.04-LTS on another 2 core box.  The same version
of Firefox(16.0.2) is running there.  HOWEVER, Firefox(10.04-LTS) renders that
same web page very smoothly.  Like Chromium(12.04-LTS) it distributes the work,
apparently, evenly between the FF process and xorg, i.e. several cores.)

It is strange:  if the FF versions weren't the same, I would surely
report it to the Mozilla people.  What to do?

which is subscribed to the bug report.

  Huge processor's loading by Xorg process when nvidia proprietary
  drivers installed