Hi Nick, thanks for flagging this to our attention on this list.

I have added this to our TODO list, and hopefully someone will get to
this before too long.

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/TODO

FWIW, with fglrx, the packaging is maintained by tseliot in github.  A
good way to get changes reviewed and included is to branch his fglrx
updates tree and propose a merge that includes your changes.

  https://github.com/tseliot/fglrx

Bryce