Hi I am having the same issue in Mint 14 but when I create the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file as suggested above, the memory issue is resolved
but it looks like Mint is selecting a different desktop environment (the
Legacy Gnome3 I think, but I am new to Mint so am not sure?).

When I log out and Select Cinammon 2D the correct desktop appears but
the CPU issue has returned.  Any other desktop I select at the Logon
Screen results in the same appearance but uses the correct INTEL
Drivers.   (The menu structure looks completely different and has a
small icon saying 'LM' at the bottom left rather than 'MENU')

Is there any other suggested fix or should Cinnamon work ok if I remove
LM14 and Install LM13 ?

  llvmpipe used after clean install instead of intel