I have this problem with a Toshiba Portegé Z930 and Ubuntu 12.04. But I
get instead a black screen with a mouse cursor and a console cursor
blinking. After pressing 2 or ENTER, lightdm starts again.

I leave a "tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log" on the tty1 before pressing 2 or
ENTER, and then I press it, and I can see the crash log. I'm attaching
it.

#105 workaround does NOT fix the problem for me. Removing the /etc/init
/plymount-splash.conf does, however.

** Attachment added: "Black screen before pressing ENTER - Toshiba Portegé Z930"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/plymouth/+bug/532047/+attachment/3453842/+files/2012-12-05%2018.15.59.jpg

  Plymouth text-mode splash causes X to crash on first run due to shared
  tty7