I am using an HP Mini 311.  This is a new issue that did not occur in
12.04.  The touchpad is now recognized as a synaptics device, after only
being recognized as a USB mouse in 12.04.

Seemingly randomly, after a resume from suspend, the touchpad appears to
be unresponsive.  Only with a high "pressure" will the mouse cursor
move.  This generally means  using the pad of my finger rather than the
tip.  Occasionally this will continue after a reboot, but usually
rebooting fixes it.

After examining synclient, it appears that what is happening is that
normal single finger touches on the pad are being recognized as two or
even three finger touches.  I've attached a file from synclient both
while the touchpad was working and when it was not.  None of the
synaptics settings have changed from one to the other, so the issue
probably doesn't lie there.

Please let me know if there is some other information that would be
helpful.

** Affects: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu)

--
Synaptics touchpad registers single finger touches as multitouch
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1087794