Looks like this bug is affecting me as well. Like may others, I am also
running 12.04.1 + nvidia, with 310.14 proprietary drivers and
3.2.0-34.53 kernel. But I am experiencing it under Gnome Classic.

>From my recent observations, it ALWAYS happens in the same way:
* always on startup (I log in automatically)
* and after pressing ENTER in a application, be it Google Chrome (the address
field, or search field in gmail) or Gnome Terminal. It looks like the trigger
is always the ENTER key. I key in a URL, or a command in the terminal and press
ENTER, and then it happens, always.

After logging in again, the problem disappears.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Random log off in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS